Thursday, May 28, 2009

Expectations from the kids...

I have been in some kind of dilemma these days on how to handle Poorvi and her expectations. She is in that age, where she thinks that her father has all the power in the world :-) E.g. She thinks that I am the one who built the house, literally. :-)

She thinks that I can scold her teacher so that the teacher behave nicely with Poorvi. She thinks that I can demand my way on the road by bullying the fellow-drivers :-) She thinks that I can do anything and everything. She believes more in me than what I do in myself. May be that's the way she gets comfort that father is there to help her and protect her in every situation.

Well, that's really going to add a big pressure on me to "behave" in the way she expects her father to be. Should I pretend or should I not? I tried to explain and set the expectations right, but failed to do so. I told her how I "cannot" construct a house and she refuses to believe :-) She cannot just think her father as a "normal human being" :-)

Although I don't want to disturb that "secure" feeling Poorvi has in this tender age, how do we ensure that it does not create over-expectations and a big disappointment when I don't deliver it one day? It is really going to hurt one day when these kids know the "limitations" of the father :-( How do we guide and groom these children to towards that day? Should we act as "super heroes" till that day?

1 comment:

  1. shes just going through a short phase of hero worship.think we all have done so sme point of our childhood its a phase she will grow out off.maybe even faster than u imagine. i remember thinking my dad was the only person worth marrying till i was 10.u could tackle the smaller situations by not focusing on her mindblock ,by telling her she is wrong(kids hate that).rather u could try to creat arespect in her for her teacher,explaining why she has to scold or correct her.teach her the importance of safe driving and traffic manners etc.but then as u know this advice is based on what might of worked with me as a kid and not on ne experience in kid rearing.

    ReplyDelete