Sunday, May 24, 2009

New world of "Reception"

(This is dedicated to my sweet little daughter - Poorvi)

Well, what comes to your mind, if I say "Reception"?? I never thought much about this word till recently, when Poorvi pointed out multiple different meanings for this word :-)

So, it was during our stay in Waynad (during April 2009) that I had go to "reception" to get some information. When I told Poorvi that I was going to "reception" and let Veena and she be in the room till I come back, she had a sad face. I could not really make out what was she thinking about. On my return to the room from "reception", Poorvi innocently asked me - "Appa, who's wedding was that? Why did you leave me and amma here"? Uh... that's when I realized that in Poorvi's vocabulary, "reception" was mapped to wedding "party". It took a while for me to add a whole new meaning of this word into her dictionary.

Well, just when I thought I was "receptive" enough to clarify Poorvi's curiosity on words, just last week, I had to explain one more meaning of this versatile word to Poorvi. Poorvi was asking me "what is satellite radio"? I had to explain about sound signals being transmitted from a location, how satellite catches the signal, relays to the home and there is a "reception" of the signal in our satellite radio unit. Poorvi's question continued: "Appa, which reception is this one"??? :-)

Well, we take so many words for granted, but these kids do not :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment