Monday, June 1, 2009

The ever delicious Bisi-Bele-Bath

(Dedicated to my mom, who has given an unconditional love, affection, care, help and all the support to me and my family always)

It was a lazy afternoon on last sunday. While the Bangalore was on its feet in the Sunfeast 10K marathon, I decided to just stay back home and relax. Mom was as usual preparing a sumptuous sunday lunch - this time Bisi-Bele-Bath, my all-time favorite food :-) So, all the more reason to be at home and get pampered.

Uh, mom would have prepared BBB for atleast 250 times in last 20 years (I am being very conservative in my estimate, this numbers must be more definitely), but everytime it tasted just the same, as delicious as it tasted the first time. The perfection of BBB preparation that mom has mastered is just unbelievable. Starting from selecting the exact quantity of different ingredients, to the amount of time to boil vegetables and rice to mixing different ingredients at the right time, everything is so perfectly done.

I sometime feel pity on the guys who relishes the BBB served in our canteen or in some hotels. Barring MTR, I am yet to find any place where the taste of BBB can match that of BBB prepared by mom.

There are few fond memories associated with BBB as well. Between 1994 and 1996, during my engineering days, lot of my hostelmates used to visit our home in Mysore to watch cricket matches. Uh, we used to have a big crowd at our place. Each and everytime, mom used to prepare some great food for my friends. Even now, my friends remember the BBBs they used to have at our place watching cricket :-) I especially remember the 1996 world cup quarter finals, India v/s Pakistan. Amir Sohil hitting Venkatesh Prasad to consecutive boundaries and pointing to him to look at the ball. Very next ball, Venky sent Amir Sohil's wicket for a long walk !! Uff... what a moment... what a moment... I even now remember how much we screamed that day and went around Mysore on our Hero-Puch's and bikes waving Indian flag... am sure all of us had our second and third helping of BBB that day, relishing both the taste of BBB and that golden moment.

Even now, every visit to Mysore is not complete without a sumptuous BBB meal at home. Oh, thanks a lot mom for all those wonderful, wonderful moments with BBB.

Long live mom's BBB, Long live its recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment