Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Father's Day !!!


(Blog dedicated to all fathers out there, trying to find sometime in catching up with this blog in between parenting :-) )

Momma Darling, Pappa Darling
Yes I do, Yes I do
Momma Darling, Pappa Darling
Yes I do, Yes I do
All I want to say is
All I want to say is
"Happy Father's day"
"Happy Father's day"


This is what Poorvi recited to me when I called her soon after she returned back from school on one of the days in last week. Oh, it felt so nice to hear this. Definitely the school knows how to create an impression with parents :-)

As a kid, I never knew about one special day in an year allocated to father. I never wished my father anytime on father's day :-( Since Poorvi wished me with these nice little words, I did some look-up in the internet to find out when exactly is "Father's day" :-) It happens to be on 3rd Sunday of every June and there is a long history behind this day. Initially in early 1900, it was promoted as a "supplement" to "Mother's day". But it took many committees, many years and many US presidents to approve this day as a "legitimate" "Father's day" !!!

There are also some debate on the spelling for this day. Should it be "Fathers' day" OR "Father's Day"? Well, in India, "Father's day" seems to be more apt and logical, not sure about rest of the world.

Anyway, don't forget to wish your father "Happy Father's day" this Sunday, with a nice gift preferably.
After all, this day was the outcome of a lobby from Trader's association to boost the sale of the gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment